Sunday, March 30, 2008

Lots

So much has happened since I last blogged. We got a new to you rat terrier, my sister informed me that she was pregnant, and then as I was on the phone with her, she started bleeding and subsequently lost the baby....which happened the next day while, naturally, we were on the phone with each other.

1. Rat Terrier. March 10, hubs came home and threw a dog at me while I was napping. I sat up, looked at the dog, and said, "What the hell is it?" I also used that line once before when we acquired our minpin that later died in the fire. He went on to tell me that she had been following one of the cart pushers around the parking lot and was going to get run over, so I was to keep her here with me until her owners came looking for her. Well. That never happened. It seems as if someone thought she was a throw away dog; she wasn't worth the trouble anymore. She's go her problems, sure. But they can be fixed with some work - and with possibly some anti-anxiety medication. I've got her 95% house broken. She's stubborn. REALLY stubborn. But she's doing well. She wants to be a good dog, but no one knew how to deal with her. Luckily she came to the right place. I've got her walking on a leash, not darting out the door as soon as its opened, she's only having a few accidents a week in the house now, she's on mostly dry food now (she wouldn't eat anything but shitty wet food when we found her), and she gets along GREAT with everyone in the house - including the labs. Its just that she likes to chew on shit that's not hers. I've given her cornstarch bones, chewy toys....she only wants what's not hers. She has some fabric squeaky toys that she absolutely adores, and I assume she'll start tearing those up soon, too. Because she's a chewer, we've got her in a kennel while we're away from the house. We don't want her to eat anything that could harm her. BUT. She loathes the kennel. Once, we were gone for 90 minutes. I came home to find that the dog had EATEN her way out of the kennel. There was a hole in the side, just large enough for 6 lbs. of rat terrier to fit through. Once she figured that out, she's been non-stop chewing on the kennel while she's in it. I just realized that I can get some bitter apple spray to stop her, so I'll be doing that this week before I go out of town. We've got to get her a wire kennel, but we're going to make this one last as long as we can. Money doesn't grow on trees and I can fix shit like you wouldn't believe. :) I am completely in love with this dog. I can't fathom dumping her in a parking lot to fend for herself. She's already forgotten that she was ever a dog. She gets constant love and lots of praise. I carry her around everywhere. She doesn't even have to walk, LOL.

2. Sis gets pregnant. We had just begun to get really excited when....

3. Sis begins to bleed. I was on the phone with her and she went to pee. She wiped and said very calmly, "I'm bleeding. What do I do?" I told her not to freak out. I went through all the questions. How much blood? What color? Any cramping? Blah blah blah. Blood was inbetween pink and red. There wasn't much of it. No cramping. And then the blood turned to brown and stopped. So we stopped worrying. About an 1/2 an hour later, I told her to go check again. She wiped away a giant clot. I told her it was possibly time to panic. She went to the hospital, where 3 agonizing hours later, they told her that she was losing the baby. Her uterus was 12 weeks, but her hormone levels weren't anywhere near what a 12 week old pregnancy should be. They told her that the baby had probably died a few days before and she was finally just starting the process of miscarriage. They did however, tell her not to lose all hope. They scheduled an ultrasound for 1 pm the next day and hoped for the best while expecting the worst.

4. Sis completely miscarries.....again while she was on the phone with me. She had called just to chat, to ease her mind as she had been cramping a bit that morning. She had to pee in the process of the conversation. She sat down - when something fell out of her and into the toilet. I heard an odd sounding "Ewww. God." and she said, "Either I just passed a giant blood clot...or that's the baby." Upon further inspection, she deemed that it was probably a clot, as it had no human characteristics at all. It was just a gelatinous looking, bloody blob. Again, I tried to ease her mind, but I think we both knew. She went for the ultrasound, and sure enough, her uterus was completely empty. As much as that sucks, we knew she was probably losing the baby, so a completely empty uterus meant that she would probably not need medical intervention to get out anything left over. There was nothing. So.

I am soon going on a 2 week trip, so even though I probably wouldn't blog in that two weeks anyway, know that as of Thursday, I am out of town until the 20th...so don't come looking for a new blog!

No comments: