Wednesday, January 17, 2007

In the crapper

I feel like I've been run over by...like say...a train or something that size. I woke up this morning and as soon as I sat up, I thought "Fuck. I'm sick." I couldn't breathe through my nose, my head was pounding and damn was I ever dizzy. I'm at my grandparent's house so I've done nothing but sit at this computer all day long. So that's been nice. Sort of. I never sit in front of a computer for hours on end anymore. Several things have kept me interested all day long and I feel like sharing none of them with any of you. Phhhbbbttt.

Ohhh but something wierd did happen in the middle of all those interesting things. Sometime this afternoon, the phone rang. I picked it up. That was my first mistake. It was my Dad. He recognized my voice (I was shocked) and asked if I was sick. Of course I was. What kind of a question was that?? So he asked about the kid. How she was and all that. I was shocked again. I seriously doubted he remembered I even had a kid. THEN he asked about my sister's kid. Holy shit. THEN...here's the kicker. He said, "Well, if you need any money, I've got $2500 put back for you and your sister." This is where my husband would interject "That's where 2 fools met. Him for offering it to you and you for not taking it." But I couldn't. I couldn't make myself take it. We just don't need money that bad. Things are tight, they always are, but we manage. If I still worked we'd have more money than we knew what to do with now that my car is paid for and all the debts we incurred after the fire are also paid for. Things are finally caught up. Took long enough. Damn. But its done. We've done without for so long that I've forgotten what its like to have. I still get nervous if I buy an extra gallon of milk at the store. Will the money be there? It always is, but that doesn't stop me from breaking into a cold sweat.

The flush toilet was invented in 1910. Some dude by the name of Crapper invented it. For real. Today was his birthday or something. No. Its the anniversary of his death. My grandfather won't stop talking about it. He's told my grandmother the same thing about this Crapper dude like 28 times since he got home at 3:45. And I opted to spend another night...what was I thinking?!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's funny to picture your papaw walking around the house talking incessantly about the Crapper!!